Milieu Treatment Counselor
Are you passionate about developing strong futures for youth and families and looking to start your career in human services?
Join a supportive team at an established organization that makes a difference in kids' lives every day. Milieu Treatment Counselors supervise the youth in Orchard Place's inpatient psychiatric treatment center. The youth served in the program are ages 10-17 and have extensive trauma histories. The goal of the program is to improve and stabilize each child, making them mentally healthier so they are able to return to their families, friends and schools as quickly as possible.
What you'll do as a Milieu Treatment Counselor:
- Improve each child's psychological and emotional well-being by providing a safe and therapeutic environment
- Participate as an active member of the treatment team; assisting in the development and implementation of Individual Care Plans
- Plan and facilitate social skills groups
- Act as an advocate for the residents and families, developing a meaningful relationship with the residents and families
- Assist in managing challenging behaviors
Why you should become a Milieu Treatment Counselor:
- Rewarding position where you can be a part of youth's growth and progress
- Supportive coworkers and supervisors that create cohesive team
- Learn valuable skills that are able to be applied to a variety of future career aspirations
Information about the Milieu Treatment Counselor position:
- Milieu Treatment Counselors typically work Sunday - Wednesday or Wednesday - Saturday schedules. Shifts are typically 10 hours and scheduled in the afternoon and evening hours
- Professional Development Career Ladder offers Milieu Treatment Counselors opportunity to receive periodic $.50 - $1.00 per hour pay rate increases and bonuses of $250 - $500 upon completion of Career Ladder step
- Full time benefit package includes paid time off; paid holidays; medical, dental and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan and tuition assistance to support furthering education
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in a human services field preferred. Will consider Associate's degree with relevant experience working with children and youth.
- Experience volunteering and/or working with children and youth
- Excellent leadership skills
- Initiative to motivate and mentor children and youth
Criminal, Abuse Registry and Motor Vehicle record checks completed.
2116 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50312