2019 Moonlight Classic - Event Day Overview
The event will be held Saturday night, July 13, 2019, beginning at 9:30 PM.
The event is anchored at the The Iowa Taproom, located at 215 E. 3rd Street in the East Village. The venue features Iowa brews and Iowa food.
The route covers 13 miles and featuring the state capitol, East Village, downtown, Pappajohn Sculpture Garden, Gray's Lake and Water Works Park.
The ride is a non-competitive format, appealing to both casual and serious riders of all ages and skill level.
LOVE LIGHTS sponsored by the Polk County Board of Supervisors! This is a new aspect of the ride intended to call attention to the incidence of mental health issues in the general population. Bikers whose lives have been personally touched by mental health issues are invited to wear a LOVE LIGHT in the Moonlight Classic.
Free parking spots are available.
The Des Moines Police Department is involved in assisting with traffic control throughout the route. The DMPD provides coverage, with approximately 30 police officers providing route support and traffic control.
There are biking course marshals to assist along the route as well as course volunteers and a water station. Bike World provides route support.
Compete in "Light Your Bike", "Best Helmet Lights" and "Best Costume" contests. All registered riders were eligible to participate in the contests and prizes were awarded to the winners. Please check in before 8:30pm to participate! by See Contests for results.
A live band "Fahrenheit" will perform before and after the ride.
Event Day Schedule
- 7:30 PM - Registration/Check-In Begins
- 7:30-8:30 PM - Check-in to compete in contests - Best Bike Lights, Best Helmet Lights, Best Costumes. Band starts the party!
- 8:45 PM - Contest winners announced and prizes awarded. Moonlight Cup trophy awarded to largest registered team. **Team members must be registered by Friday, at 11:59pm to count toward team totals**
- 9:15 PM - On-Site Registration closes. Riders line up on East Third.
- 9:30 PM - Lead car departs and the ride begins!
- 10:30PM-12:30AM - Celebration at Iowa Taproom with live music. The ride will take place come rain or moon(shine)!! Orchard Place does reserve the right to cancel, postpone and/or delay the start of the right due to severe weather and/or other conditions.
Please plan to start the ride at 9:30pm behind the lead police car and finish the route by 11:30pm at the latest. It is important to start promptly in order to take advantage of police support through the busy downtown streets and volunteer route support through Water Works Park and Gray's Lake.
Follow the instructions of the Des Moines Police Department and Moonlight Classic course marshals.