Orchard Place - Child Guidance Center
808 Fifth Avenue • Des Moines, IA • 50309
The Orchard Place - Child Guidance Center in downtown Des Moines has provided child and adolescent mental health services in Central Iowa for more than 75 years.
The Child Guidance Center is a federally accredited community mental health center for children and serves as a safety net service provider for children battling mental health disorders in Central Iowa.
Our Children's Mental Health Services Include:
- Direct Clinical Services offers a wide variety of mental health services in the Child Guidance Center clinical setting, including therapy, psychological assessments and testing, psychiatric assessments, and medication management.
- Mental Health Consultation/Education is the Child Guidance Center's effort to provide specialized, child mental health education and assistance to parents, educators and child care professionals.
- School-Based Mental Health Services are provided in 83 schools across 11 school districts, allowing children and families easier access to therapy and enabling therapists to closely collaborate with the child's educational team.
- Trauma-Informed Care Project promotes awareness of the impact of trauma on children and educates the community and community stakeholders in trauma-informed care practices.
- Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) serves 21 counties in Central Iowa and helps families identify and select quality child care. CCR&R offers consultation, technical assistance and training to both home and center based child care programs on child development, positive behavior intervention support and other training topics to help children get a healthy start in child care environments.
Referral to the Child Guidance Center:
Call (515) 244-2267. Our receptionist will refer you to appropriate services or an intake specialist.
Referral to Child Care Resource and Referral Program:
Call (515) 246-3590. Our receptionist will refer you to appropriate staff for services.
Want more Information?
Please complete the form below and a representative will contact you shortly.
This site is intended to provide information and resources and is not intended to serve as a crisis line. We make every effort to return a web based inquiry within 24 hours. If you have immediate needs please call 9-1-1 or the suicide hotline at 1-800-273-TALK