2021 Holiday Drive
What was on your holiday wish list as a child? A toy train, or a doll, or a match box car? At Orchard Place, we care for, and about, each of the children and families we serve. We recognize the holiday season may mean more stress, not less. When a child experiences a mental health crisis, it impacts the whole family and may lead to financial distress as parents miss work to care for their child’s needs.
Now that you know the why behind the Orchard Place Holiday Drive, you may wonder how YOU can make their holiday wishes come true:
Here's how you can help:
* Shop for a child: Sign up to fulfill a child’s wish list. Each list includes one need + two wants. The total cost to provide all three items averages $75.
* Let us do the shopping: Donate cash and/or gift cards: Give at www.orchardplace.org/donate and type “Holiday Drive” in the designation area or mail a check payable to Orchard Place (2116 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50312) and/or send gift cards.
* Share this holiday giving opportunity with family and friends: We need more than 3,000 gifts. Please share this link https://www.roonga.com/orchardplace with your contacts and include a personal message about why you support Orchard Place.
* Organize a Team Drive: It’s never been easier to organize team giving where you can share in fulfilling children’s wish lists. Our new online tools make this an easy way to engage remote workers in a team activity. Each wish list includes three items totaling an average of $75 per child. How many children will your team help this year?
* Host a Giving Tree: Create ornaments with the details for each wish on a child’s list, then encourage everyone to take an ornament, shop for the item, and bring the gift back to the tree wrapped and labeled. You can sign up for kids under Team Drive.
* Host a Holiday Party: Shop the wish lists for all youth in a house on Campus (average 10-12 per home, $75 covers 3 gifts per youth). Provide dinner and treats for youth and staff during the party. Contact Brandie to sign up.
* Sponsor Stockings: Provide 12 stockings with goodies to make the holidays brighter for children we serve.
* Support a Orchard Place branch or Campus house: Donate NEW toys, games and other items for play therapy or recreation.
Drive thru curbside drop offs information:
You must first sign up and select an option on the Holiday Drive. Each child is assigned a branch, please look at their profile to see which location your gifts go too. Schedule a drop off time here One slot per family. All gifts need to be received by Orchard Place no later than December 15th.
PACE drop off (620 8th Street, Des Moines, IA 50309): Wednesday, 12/1, 1pm-5pm, Wednesday, 12/8, 9am-12pm, Saturday, 12/11, 10am-12pm or Wednesday, 12/15, 8am-5pm
Child Guidance Center drop off (808 Fifth Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309): Tuesday, 12/7, 9am-12pm or Tuesday, 12/14, 8am-5pm
* Putting together treat bags/crafts for the kids off-site.
* At each drop off day, 2 volunteers are needed at the drop off site to assist with bringing gifts inside and organizing them.
* Returning volunteers can pick up gifts at an Orchard Place location to wrap at home and return to their designated location.
Volunteer opportunities are limited this year. Contact Brandie directly for additional options or call at 515-287-9621.