Substance Use Services
Orchard Place Substance Abuse Services
Orchard Place Substance Abuse Services are outpatient drug treatment programs that serve Iowa children and teens under the age of 18 who are experiencing problems at school or in the community due to alcohol and/or drug use. These children and teens may also be struggling in family, peer, or school environments. Our substance abuse treatment approach uses motivational interviewing and a co-occurring mental health perspective in group, individual, and family sessions.
Substance Abuse Services can include:
- Individual evaluations
- Extended outpatient, intensive outpatient, and continuing care treatment
- Substance abuse education and diversion classes
- DOT-approved DUI assessments
Electronic Smoking Devices (ESD) – What You Need to Know
- Vaporizers, electronic cigarettes, vape pens, hookah pens, mods, and e-pipes are some of the many types of electronic smoking devices (ESD).
- ESD are battery-operated devices that stimulate smoking. They contain cartridges typically filled with nicotine, flavorings, propylene glycol, and other substances.
- ESD produce an aerosol, not water “vapor”, that can contain heavy metals, carcinogens, and ultrafine particulates that can be inhaled deep into the lungs.
- Secondhand ESD emissions are not safe and may contain carcinogens and other toxins.
- In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) began its authority over the sales, marketing, and manufacturing of ESD.
- There are seven FDA approved medications to help people quit tobacco. ESD are not an FDA-approved smoking cessation aid.
- In recent studies, over 75% of ESD users also smoked cigarettes (dual use). ESD have not been found by the FDA to be safe or effective in helping smokers quit.
- Quitline Iowa (1-800-784-8669) is a FREE service to all Iowans to help them successfully quit tobacco. Call today!